Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Awesome awesomeness

I worked out yesterday! And it felt soooooo gooooood.

I did a touch of cardio and then some core exercises before heading into kickboxing for an hour. Then I sat in the sauna, with a fleece robe on, for 25 minutes. I am wearing the robe now because I am trying to get my body acclimated to the heat since I will have to be dealing with that during my internship this summer.

Also, since joining sparkpeople, I have been re-thinking about my goals. Most of them are still the same, which is good and that probably means I really want to do them. And hopefully, through the site, I can meet some workout buddies in Austin to helpme along the way of realizing my goals.

The Marathon Goal:
I used to be a competitive runner, so the marathon idea has always been in the back of my mind. Plus, my dad is an inspiration for this as well as he has run three (or four) and is currently training for one in November. And there is just something to be said for completing an marathon, all 26.2 miles of it.

The Triathalon Goal:
This is hardcore. I used to do triathalons when I was younger, but they were kid triathalons and that was a long time ago. It holds the same appeal that the marathon goal does: to prove to myself that I can still do it as I once did. There's something so powerful at completing a tri. Pushing yourself through the water, knowing you have two more events: the biking and the running. It's exhausting, mind wrenching and the greatest feeling in the world when it's completed.

Hike the Appalachian Trail:

This one is a far away dream. I would love to hike the whole thing (with Chris of course). Hiking the whole thing means starting in Georgia and ending in Maine or vice versa. Usually you have people send you care packages along the way at certain towns along the trail and it takes anywhere from 4 to 6 months to complete. This is another hardcore task. I probably will never have the time in my life to take off 6 months with Chris (not while we own a house and have student loans and credit card debt). But this is one of those things that whenever I win the lottery, I will immediately start training.

Long distance biking:
This one isn't too hard to reach since technically I could do it around Austin on Louise (my Raleigh cruiser). But what I would really love to do is ride for several days, camping at night and riding during the day. That'd be fun. I wouldn't want to ride down back roads though, those drivers are crazy. Ideally, I could ride frontage roads and find a campsite on the outskirts of a town. A trip from Austin to the coast would be awesome! Then you could camp out on the beach to finish your trip! Cool.

Of course, these are just my fitness goals. I have other goals too, like getting my weight to the healthy range, lowering my BMI and fitting back into my skinny jeans.

What are your goals? What do you dream about doing once you are in shape? What do you work towards when working out?

No comments: